Forums BDFI

Forums de discussions du site Base de Données Francophone de l'Imaginaire
Ces forums sont réservés aux genres science-fiction, fantastique, fantasy, merveilleux, horreur, gore.

Vous n'êtes pas identifié(e).

Annonce

ATTENTION : En raison de travaux, certaines vignettes sont actuellement manquantes sur les forums. Tout devrait rentrer dans l'ordre petit à petit...
INSCRIPTION : La lecture des forums est accessible à tous. Pour écrire il faut vous inscrire (mais attention, pour lutter contre les robots spammeurs, les inscriptions non suivies de messages dans les forums seront annulées).

#1 28-11-2013 10:39:14

Christian
[°*°] A la poursuite des scans
Site Web

Taylor Caldwell

Encore une trouvaille de Jean-Luc Boutel qui manquait dans notre base :

Taylor Caldwell .. Votre péché est le mien (Your Sins and Mine, 1955)
Presses de la Cité, 1956

v_pdccadwell.jpg

Une sécheresse aussi brusque qu'inexpliquée, une invasion de plantes vénéneuses, une épidémie à l'échelle mondiale... serait-ce la fin du monde ?

Taylor Caldwell est le pseudonyme de Janet Miriam Taylor Caldwell (Royaume Uni) née le 07/09/1900 à Manchester, Lancashire et décédée le 30/08/1985. Elle a aussi signée : Marcus Holland, Max Reiner ou J. Miriam Reback.

ISFDB recense trois autres titres de cette auteur qui seraient apparentés à nos genres favoris, donc un au moins a été aussi traduit aux Presses de la Cité en 1953 :

Tu combattras sans aide (The Devil's Advocate, 1952)

v_pdccaldwell2.jpg

Quelqu'un connait et peut confirmer que ce n'est pas du hors-genre ?

okbdfi

#2 28-11-2013 20:52:33

MobyDick
Membre

Re : Taylor Caldwell

Apparemment, il s'agit de politique fiction de droite ; ceux qui lisent l'anglais mieux que moi pourront trouver davantage de renseignements ci-dessous :

Trouvé sur LIBRARY THING
A moving documentary of where America is headed!
The Devil's Advocate is a book that should be required reading in all American schools before it is too late. Taylor Caldwell has written what appears to be a prophetic book about the fall of America to the One State. The centralization of government power in the hands of the federal government, already underway are vividly seen in this book. The destruction of individualism and religion is displayed in all its ugliness. A bright light is cast upon the results of the abandoning of the Constitution and the Republic of America for a Democracy, in name only, and what appears is a great deal like what is manifesting itself all around us today. The co-opting of the educational system to facilitate the enslaving of the people by those who think themselves to be enlightened that we see today is powerfully portrayed. The Federal Bureau of Homeland Security is the hated enforcer of this "Democracy" that is constantly listening and watching for the mention of God, the Constitution, or a twinkle of individually that it my crush it is frightening.
This book from America's past is about the future of America if the masses continue to follow blindly the dictates of those who wish to sacrifice the Constitution and the Republic on the altar of a "Democracy" of their making.

Avis de lecteur trouvé sur un autre site :

Ms. Caldwell first wrote this book in 1952. Keep this date in mind for what she wrote in this novel happened in her imagination – until some of it became a reality! And some of it is still happening!
Andrew Durant is an upright citizen who feels as though his world has crashed around him. He sees his beloved America being ripped apart at the seams. The government is completely corrupt and the Military is out of control. He can’t speak his thoughts to anyone because he doesn’t know who is left to trust. The Military posted spies throughout the country and one false word is sure to bring about certain death to the “traitor”!
Andrew knows there is only one thing left to do. He must join the Minutemen!
Yes, I did say Minutemen! This is a story that takes place in our future but brings back that brave band of rebellious men who strive and risk their lives to bring back the integrity and life of what once was the greatest nation on earth, The United States of America.
What Durant is about to realize is that the Minutemen have their own spies and ’’quiet’’ workers among the enemy. They’ve weeded out the truest Americans to infiltrate the enemy camps and become one of them in order to regain our precious American way of life.
For those who accept this challenge, it means losing your family and your friends for this ’’society’’ is so secret, only two people know of your part in this organization: you and the man in charge (who you will never see again after your initial visit with him). You are completely alone and there’s no one you can trust.
Durant loves his country so much, he willing accepts this challenge as he explains to his wife, ’’It’s better for us to die than live they way we do. This is not freedom.’’
Upon his acceptance into this secret society, he’s told that his wife and children have been moved to a safe place however, for their safety, Durant will never see them again. Has he made the right choice? Is this what he really wants?
Durants service to his country takes you through the nightmare he lives every day. You’ll be with him as he is appointed to the Military and given a post whereby he is to restrict the citizen more than they already are. His main goal is to bring them enough grief that will cause them to finally revolt and bring the eventual demise of ’’The Democracy, the Chief Magistrate and the dreaded Federal Bureau of Home Security.’’
He, who loves his country more than his own life, is now in a position to destroy it further. Can this destruction be the beginning of the new and better future Durant and the Minutemen hope for? Is he emotionally strong enough to push his own emotions aside and become something he’s not in order to save America? And if so, how?
During his employment as Major Andrew Curtiss of the Army of The Democracy, Durant meets many people who are either help him or kill him. It’s up to him to weed out the true Americans and if necessary, kill those who are not. One thing is for sure. He will either succeed . . . or die trying.
The people you’ll meet in this book will surprise you and I’m sure the surprise ending will bring tears to your eyes. I never expected it and as I read the final chapter, I gasped and thought, Oh no! Not him! But, I’m not going to tell you who or what. That’s something you’ll have to read to find out.
I first read this book in the late 1960’s and while it gripped my attention, the magnitude of her novel became more horrifying after I read it again (for about the 9th time) a few months ago.
I’m the kind of person, who if I find a book I really like, I’ll read it time and again. The Devil’s Advocate is such a book. The is one of the greatest (if not THE GREATEST) story I’ve ever read, but there’s more!
I read, many years ago, that Ms. Caldwell possessed psychic ability. Is it true? After reading The Devil’s Advocate, I’m convinced. There are things about which she wrote that only began happening a few years ago! One such “item” is rap music! How could anyone back in the early 1950’s have thought about rap music? Yet she did and it’s in this book.
Okay, so now you’re wondering what does rap music have to do with a decaying democracy, Minutemen and our country? It’s how the government used the rap music against the population and in favor of their own purposes. The rap music is just one example of her foresight. But, there’s more! Oh my! There is SO much more!
I’ve had this book in my possession since I first bought it when I was in high school. The paper back cost me only $1.50! Yet, every time I read it, I find something else that has either happened in reality or just made me stop and think ... ’’What if!’’
Should you decide to read this awesome novel, my advice would be to stop and think as you read. You’ll be surprised to realized just how much truth is in The Devil’s Advocate and frightened to think of just how much of this fiction might still come true.

Dernière modification par MobyDick (29-11-2013 00:48:11)

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre. (Blaise Pascal)

#3 29-11-2013 15:52:23

Christian
[°*°] A la poursuite des scans
Site Web

Re : Taylor Caldwell

En direct de Facebook, le résumé-critique de Guy Costes :

Tu combattras sans aide "The Devil's Advocate" (1952) est une sévère dystopie, dont le régime totalitaire est par ironie "traduit" par : La Démocratie, (je n'ai pas le texte en américain), celle-ci est combatue de l'intérieur par des opposants infiltrés dont le héros fait aussi partie du corps des "hommes-minute", qui pensent (à tord ou a raison) arriver à la faire tomber en multipliant mauvais traitements et massacres par une réaction du peuple, qui tarde d'ailleurs à venir. Il y perdra la vie sans que personne (sauf le lecteur) sache qu'il était un héros. Un grand texte si peu connu que s'en est un mystère malgré cette traduction... parue trop tôt peut-être.

Pied de page des forums

Propulsé par FluxBB 1.5.11

bouton BDFI
Validated by HTML Validator
© BDFI 2021 - Contacts : - -
Dernière modification : Sunday 3 January 2021, 20:10